Sunday 24 June 2012

Just Passing Through

 Just Passing Through

When I was in high school, I was part of the choir. I was one of the more important members, as I span three voice parts. For choir, there was a performance before Christmas and one before school let out for summer.

I believe this happened my sophomore year, the night of the Christmas recital. For some inane reason, I decided to put on my uniform in the living room. I don't know why I did, because that wasn't my style. Anyway, I realized I had grabbed the wrong socks. Stupid, I know, but it was a Catholic school with a uniform. Socks are important.

I went back to my room which is at the other end of the house, down the main hallway. I got the proper socks, and turned to leave.

Before I continue, a bit of explanation. I live in a ranch-style house. All three bedrooms and one bathroom are down the far end of the hallway. My bedroom that I shared with my brother of previous post fame and my parents' bedroom at at the very end. The rooms that branch off the middle of the hallway are my older sister's room on one side and the bathroom directly opposite it on the other side. Facing out of my bedroom door and down the hall, my sister's room is on the right. She had a large armoire against the hallway-sharing-wall, and a mirror on the same side as the door. As a result, if her door was open (and it was most of the time), I could see the mirror, and it roughly faced my bedroom door.

I don't know what compelled me to look at her doorway. But as I was leaving my bedroom, I did. In the mirror, and only in the mirror, I caught a glimpse of a girl. Well, a teenager, perhaps. Only the back half of her as she walked. But she had long, dark hair. I myself have rather light hair (the picture in my profile page is a dye job; I'm actually blond). The only person with dark hair is my dad, and he's 6'2" and certainly doesn't look like a teenaged girl, nor is his hair ever longer than about 3" in any spot.

She just walked in. I wasn't scared at all, nor particularly surprised. I actually muttered out loud, "I don't have time for this" and went back to the living room to properly outfit my feet for the concert. Yes, I turned my head and looked into her room when I passed, and, as you can imagine, no one was in there, not even my sister. She was off at college in another county at the time.

I've never seen her again. I suspect that she was just "passing through" as it were, and we happened to cross paths long enough to me to see her. Why my sister's room is an interesting question, though. In high school, my sister decided to convert to Wicca. But she wasn't and still isn't a "good witch" by any stretch of the term. I don't believe what I saw to be evil, though. And I've never investigated ley lines or magnetic fields in my house. Overall, my house is pretty...vacant of energies.

It was still weird to see, though.

No comments: